Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Pears and Cream ... a culinary memory.


Ok, so it's not terribly culinary but The Man and I were reminiscing recently about the rare items on the school lunch menu that we actually liked, and pears and sour cream was a win for both of us. He remembered his mom making it for him when he was very small and she put a cherry on top. My memory of it was of lunch ladies handing me little neutral colored bowls filled with half a pear, a scoop of sour cream and some shredded cheese. I decided to make it his moms way to see if it was as good as I remembered and with the cherry it was way better. 


It's easy peasy, you just need some canned pear halves, some sour cream and some bright red maraschino cherries. The pears I used were kind of small so I wound up using four halves, (two whole pears) and about a quarter cup of sour cream per bowl. I also poured a little bit of the syrup from the cherries on top to sweeten the deal and make it pretty. The cherries and the pears are sweet enough that the sour cream becomes almost like yogurt, and I suppose you could use yogurt instead, but I liked that the tang of the sour cream could still shine through the sweetness. It was a successful walk down memory lane for the both of us and you should try it ... and feed it to everyone you love so they'll love it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment