Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Iron Craft #16 Taxman: Citrus Change Purse

This week the Iron Craft challenge was to make something inspired by money. I'm pretty sure there are a ton of change purses being submitted so far but I decided to go with one anyway. I decided to go with a change purse because thus far Iron Craft has pushed me to do things I have never done before and before this week I had never sewn in a zipper. 

I found this pretty little rainbow crocheted change purse tutorial at SparklePetal and decided that I wanted to make something similar. I liked the rainbow but I don't have scraps in rainbow colors and I didn't want to buy seven separate skeins of yarn. I didn't mind buying one skein of yarn and using scraps I did have on hand so I came up with this lime slice idea. I made mine with six single crochets in a magic ring and then increased evenly for sixteen rows. I embroidered the lime wedges and seeds with white yarn I had on hand. Then I followed the tutorial at SparklePetal to make the liner and attatch it. I gave it to The Mom because I don't really need a change purse and she liked it.

I learned that using a plain ole foot on my machine to sew in a zipper is not a good idea so I'll be buying a zipper foot as soon as I find one. It wasn't hard to do but I did it sloppily because I was using the standard foot my machine came with. I don't know why zippers are so intimidating now that I actually did it.

2 comments:

  1. I zipper foot is a must but yeah zippers are not hard if you know how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably end up making more of these since I still have plenty of all of the materials and the zipper was so easy to sew in.

    ReplyDelete