Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Iron Craft #16 Taxman: Citrus Change Purse

This week the Iron Craft challenge was to make something inspired by money. I'm pretty sure there are a ton of change purses being submitted so far but I decided to go with one anyway. I decided to go with a change purse because thus far Iron Craft has pushed me to do things I have never done before and before this week I had never sewn in a zipper. 

I found this pretty little rainbow crocheted change purse tutorial at SparklePetal and decided that I wanted to make something similar. I liked the rainbow but I don't have scraps in rainbow colors and I didn't want to buy seven separate skeins of yarn. I didn't mind buying one skein of yarn and using scraps I did have on hand so I came up with this lime slice idea. I made mine with six single crochets in a magic ring and then increased evenly for sixteen rows. I embroidered the lime wedges and seeds with white yarn I had on hand. Then I followed the tutorial at SparklePetal to make the liner and attatch it. I gave it to The Mom because I don't really need a change purse and she liked it.

I learned that using a plain ole foot on my machine to sew in a zipper is not a good idea so I'll be buying a zipper foot as soon as I find one. It wasn't hard to do but I did it sloppily because I was using the standard foot my machine came with. I don't know why zippers are so intimidating now that I actually did it.

3 comments:

  1. I zipper foot is a must but yeah zippers are not hard if you know how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably end up making more of these since I still have plenty of all of the materials and the zipper was so easy to sew in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking for the Ultimate Dating Website? Join to find your perfect match.

    ReplyDelete